• Do I need a student visa to study in the US?

  • You are required to obtain a visa to enter the US. You will need either an M or F Student Visa to study in the US. Find more information here. If you would just like to visit the US (e.g., for a holiday) you do not need a visa. You do however need an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) - which is a Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Find more information about ESTA here.
  • What is a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number)?

  • A PPS number is a unique code that that gives you access to social welfare benefits, services and subsidies in Ireland. You can find more information here.
  • Where to apply for a Personal Public Service Number (PPS number)?

  • There are several offices in Ireland where you may apply for a PPS. You can find your local Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.
  • How to get a permanent residence permit?

  • If you are from an EU/EEA nation, you are fortunate as you do not need a work visa or permit. However, if you are not from an EU/EEA nation, you will have to obtain a work visa and permit to work legally in Ireland. For more information, click here.
  • What is an Irish Resident Permit (IRP)?

  • The IRP card is about the size of a credit card, which has your information displayed on it: name, card validity, permission to work and registration number. It also has your passport picture, a microchip and your fingerprints. See the sample below. You can click here for more information.

  • Where to find the Irish Residence Application (IRP)?

  • What is a P45?

  • If you leave your employment, you should receive a P45, which is a document showing your salary, taxes and social security payments. You will need this if you change jobs or become unemployed.

    Search the FAQs